Gaura Belleza Dark Pink: What Makes It A Gardener’s Favorite?
Gardeners fondly describe this beauty as “Wand Flower,” “Butterfly Flower” or “Butterfly Bush” and is a favorite when it comes to planting in containers or landscapes. I see that the dark pink hue of a flower is attractive enough to grace my front yard and the view from my patio. Yet, there must be more to it than I know.
What makes this Gaura Belleza Dark Pink more interesting?
Characteristics: Gaura Belleza Dark Pink
Gaura is a native North American wildflower. This plant will not survive the winter, but you will be surprised to see them anywhere for the rest of the year. However, the tap-rooted plant blooms abundantly every early summer and early fall.
The warm, dark pink, star-shaped, 5-petals flowers with long protruding antlers have short stems but sturdy branches. It has a clumping, upright blossom with green foliage. To describe, the leaves are lobed and narrow. This plant grows 2-3 feet tall and 18” wide when it fully matures.
Gaura Belleza loves sun exposure. Hence, look for a nook that exposes the plant to the sun’s heat. In fact, the plant is drought tolerant, making it a perfect choice for gardeners who don’t have enough time to water their garden.
Once it starts to bloom, it produces nectar-rich pink flowers that butterflies and bees love to feast. It attracts hummingbirds too. Surely, this plant is worth to keep. With its fast growth rate, it will make a great plant companion.
Planting Gaura Belleza Dark Pink
Because of its short stems, Gaura Belleza is an ideal plant in small pots preferably 12” deep and 10” wide for enough space. It’s also perfect placing it together (preferably 15”apart) in one spot during redesigning. You will find this plant along with other perennials in the mass plantation, not only in containers but also in clusters on the ground.
I suggest planting it between other hostas. The free bunches of flowers and its cheery presence offers a chance for spectators to see the beauty of other plants behind. The dark pink flowers provide movement as it sways in the breeze, resembling flying butterflies.
Some Ideas on where you can place Gaura Belleza:
Grow Gaura Belleza in fertile, moist but well-drained soil under the sun. It’s not choosy on the kind of soil, but loam and sandy are highly recommended. Nevertheless, it grows best on dry ground.
Therefore, these flowers are often in areas with dry and hot landscapes. Make sure to plant it along with other sun lover hostas. Take note that when you place Gaura Belleza in shady areas, the flower stems will wilt and become too thin.
What Makes Gaura Belleza A Gardener’s Favorite?
What is so amazing with this plant that it ranks high for landscapers and gardeners? Here are the reasons why a gardener chooses a Gaura Belleza for their garden and why you should have one too.
- Beauty: The dark pink flowers are gorgeous especially when it blooms together with other bunches of Wand Flowers.
- Heat tolerance and longevity: The plant needs less maintenance and is famous to be long-lived. It tolerates drought, heat, and humidity.
- Do you know that this Gaura Belleza is rabbit/deer resistant? It is generally pests and disease free! Any gardener would love that. (May you like: Homemade Deer Repellent For Hostas: How To Make Your Own?)
- It is a bee and butterfly magnet. These insects do more good in a home’s garden than harm.
- Offers versatility to the growers and gardeners. Use the plant for container, border and mass plantation.
- Gaura Belleza Dark Pink has fewer disease problems and insect or animal infestation. Although Japanese beetles and some caterpillars may find it their favorite nook, these are just controllable. Aphids, leaf miner and mites are predominant in eating the developing tips of the fresh roots.
- The primary issue that gardeners neglect is the condition of the soil. Poorly drained soils will rot the roots leading to the plant’s death.
- You may also notice dark-colored purple spots on the leaves when the weather is cold. It must not worry you since it is just a natural reaction to temperature and will eventually lessen as the climate changes.
With the busy, schedule the world gives every day, even a gardener has pressure to deal with it in life. Caring for a garden required focus, time and effort. If you are one of those gardeners who find schedule so demanding, then you need to choose the right kind of plant to grow in your garden.
Align your plant choices to your lifestyle and availability. That is why Gaura Belleza Dark Pink fits in all aspects. It doesn’t demand much of your time, and effort but still, it offers you the beauty to behold. Isn’t it fascinating to have plants that continuously bloom pretty flowers to enjoy all the time?